Okay, so I can pretty much sink my teeth into (and am willing to sink my teeth into. . .) most treats. BUT I don't always want my kids to treat themselves to all the irresistible snacks that I would - at least without my supervision. Two reasons: First (and most importantly) - some treats are just for me. . . and maybe Tyler, if he's nice. I'm not talking about a secret stash of something BAD here, but let's be honest no three-year-old has a palate that would really appreciate a square of Scharffen Berger bitter chocolate. Might as well give them M&Ms, or even the fake M&Ms - they'll be just as happy. . . and so will I. Second - Maybe some kids out there have (and pay heed to) a "that's enough" warning signal in their heads. My oldest actually rarely overeats anything, including treats. The other two? Fuhgettabouditt! They'll eat snacks until they're quite literally sick if we let them. (ie: if they 're sneaky enough.)
The solution? Healthy snacks that are good enough the kids sneak those instead of the alternatives. Several years ago Tyler introduced me to the best dried apples ever. His mom had dried them from some of the trees in their orchard. I've never been a fan of most dried apples - mostly because I 'm not a fan of eating cardboard OR styrofoam which is what most dried apples taste like to me. So why were hers so different? She used a different variety of apple - Jonathons. Not Jonagolds, Jonathons.
Aren't they beautiful?
SO yummy, I swear. Unfortunately we took out the Jonathon Apple trees a few years ago and are left with a bunch of Red Delicious trees- which are not so delicious (although the boys and the horses like them just fine. . .). I always look for Jonathons in the stores and farmers markets and I was so excited last week when I found some. (Yay!) So we've been using one of my favorite kitchen gadgets - my apple peeler/corer/slicer and drying a ton of apples. (Alright, a couple of bushels or something, but it seemed like a ton.)

The boys take turns using the gadget and then run around the house eating the long strings-o-apple-peel. (and screaming of course, but that has nothing to do with the apples, that's just all about little boys. I don't know why. It makes no sense to me.) 
I even made a pie for no reason other than we had so many apples. I'm feeling so very Martha Stewart-ish. And now we're monitoring the dried apple consumption instead of the Halloween candy. Much better.

I even made a pie for no reason other than we had so many apples. I'm feeling so very Martha Stewart-ish. And now we're monitoring the dried apple consumption instead of the Halloween candy. Much better.




8 comments:
I am thinking that a great Jonathon apple sounds really good right now...dried or not. I have a 5 year old that lives on apples. We love the pink ladies, but we've never tried a Jonathon. What a great idea. I have to say that you ARE very Martha Stewart-ish!
Mahvelous idea! I loved using that peeler as a kid. And then my mom would dry and freeze them......I loved snacking on them!
And Apple Crisp. Apple Crisp is a must with all those apples. (I'm calling my mom and requesting it for Thanksgiving right now.)
that sounds delicious, actual delicious, not red delicious.
I've been contemplating buying one of those apple peeler/slicer/corer contraptions, but they seem so large and rarely used. You may have changed my mind... hmmmm...!
Hey-that's my neighbor gift for Christmas. I guess I'll have to come up with something different for you guys. Maybe M&M's?
Mmmmmm...yummy! I want one of those corer/peeler/slicers so bad! I think that is what I want for Christmas.
You've always been a little bit Martha Stewartish. I'm with you on the boys running around the house, screaming thing. Love it most of the time!!
You made a pie? I'm so totally impressed! I hear you on the kids and the under developed palate. I feel the exact same way!! It's also a great excuse to keep the delicious treats for myself and I do...regularly! Maybe I should switch to apples too.
Yum. Way to go Martha. I have to say that I do not think that I have the patients to wait for the apples to dry. Besides I do not have one of those fancy contraptions so doing it by hand is not appealing. Maybe one day when I grow up I will try it. Until that day I will eat junk.
Post a Comment