Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm a Junkie.

The signs - you know you should stop, maybe make dinner or put the kids to bed. So you put it off and then when you get around to doing all the things you should be doing all you can think about is when you can get back to your little addiction. How much longer? Can you take it? Your sleeping suffers because you stay up feeding your craving almost until it's time to wake up. Then when you finally turn off the light to get an hour or two of sleep your mind is too busy to let you rest. At last you see it affecting your family. "What are you doing, Mom?. . .Oh, never mind." And your husband comes home from work wearing vampire fangs just to get your attention. (And does he ever - get your attention, I mean.)



So, I stubbornly refused to touch any of the Twilight books for, hmm, years, I guess. I felt it must be a Buffy rip-off and I was far too loyal a fan of the Buffy / Angel love story (and Joss Whedon) to fall for another lesser vampire storyline. I did the same thing with the Harry Potter mania - Scoffed at the fanatics waiting in droves for their pre-ordered copies of the latest wizarding installment, and then I completely sold out. (Not that that had anything to do with Buffy. ) I read LITERATURE, not pulp-fiction. Sheesh. What a faker I am. As much as I love plod slowly through a multi-layered piece of 'serious ' literature, have I ever been so engrossed that I would literally fly through thousands of pages within a few days because I could-not-put-it-down? (I can stop anytime I want, I swear.) I don't think so. (Well, at least not when a grade hasn't been attached to the reading in some way.)

Bottom line - you can count me among one of the Twilight groupies now. (Dang-it.) Edward's team, of course. Now that the reading frenzy is over though, I'm a little lost. I went through the entire series in a week - Thanksgiving week at that. Now I have that strange feeling of surreal loss that you get when you close the last chapter of the world you've been escaping to and you're just not quite ready to let it go. Whatever shall I do, Wherever shall I go? To the laundry room, I guess.

10 comments:

Jeremy and Anna Lisa said...

What to do now? Go see the movie of course! Knowing you, I'm sure you've already done so or made plans. My 12 yr old daughter and I went together. So far she's read the 1st of 4, I'm finishing #4 as we speak. Seconds before the movie started, I couldn't hold in my excitement and shouted out Edward's name! Avery gave me that look that says "I wish you'd disappear." Guess she's truly a teenager now, doesn't want to be seen with her crazy,old mom. But I'm sorry! I'd read these books, I love Edward and I wanted my moment. Come on,it was dark!! Someday, you'll get that look from your adorable little boys and your heart will break too. But the movie was still a blast, books are better, of course.

Wonder Woman said...

If I could do it all over again, I'd take my time. It's what I tell people I know who start reading the books - it's hard, but pace yourself. Savor the first time you read them. I'm not one to reread a lot of books, but I've read the series a few times through.

Welcome to club. And yes, we ALL neglected every single responsibility we had while reading the books. No housework, eating out all week, kids up late and entertained by Dora and Diego all day, husband begging for attention.....yup yup yup. I had it all, too.

Wendy said...

Yes, I too was SUCKED in. And if I could have had the WILL to just put it down after say 20 minutes of reading -- I would have done that. I too didn't get much done around the house at the time, but with little kids when do I ever get much of ANYTHING done.

Glad that you enjoyed the books.

Now all I need to do is watch the Movie. I haven't been able to yet.

Kiera said...

My respect for you just bubbled over Wendy. I'm glad you decided to read against your better judgment and I'm even more happy to hear that you were hooked. It makes me feel better about my own personal addiction to Edward. :) One week? All four books? You were a machine!!!

Go to the movie with low expectations and you'll probably like it. There are some corny parts but its fun none the less. :)

Allyson said...

Oh Wendy! I love having things in common with someone I admire so much! I feel your pain of loss, I read the first three in three days and then I had to wait for the fourth - talk about AGONY!

I totally shared your thoughts when I started reading them - I am an English LITERATURE Major for crying out loud! I read the good works not fantasy novels - apparently I am not as scholarly as I thought...oh well - Edward is worth it! ;)

Melanie Engen said...

Welcome to the fan club! I felt a little corny watching the movie with a gaggle of 12 year old groupies oohing and aahing through the whole thing. Actually, I felt more old than corny. :) My one demise from the book was that I so wished my husband was like Edward...who doesn't. It was hard to not be mad at him for a few days after reading the book because he didn't ooh and aah over me the way Edward would had Edward been my true love, my life......in fact, if Edward were even real. :)

Emily said...

I hate to have to say it Wendy... well actually I take quite a bit of delight in saying I TOLD YOU SO! haha You totally looked at me like I was crazy this summer as I gushed over the books and begged you to read them too. I got where you were coming from being an Angel fan myself but I am so happy you finally caved and are as hooked like the rest of us suckers :) Welcome to the club. I also very pleased that you would be on Team Edward. Seriously... like there is any competition ;)

tiffy girl said...

Hey you beautiful song bird! I loved your solo on sunday. you will have to sing at my funeral too:) btw great job on the turkey, and I am glad you finally gave in and read the books.

kristina said...

oh I love that you got sucked in! but wasn't it such a pleasure! i still have book 4 to read, I like to take my time, so I can enjoy it just a bit longer!

AubreyB said...

Hey, can you send me your email address? Thank you!
byubabe14 at yahoo dot com