Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Am I Buggin' You? Don't Mean to Bug ya. . ."

What's bugging me:
1. The other night I was out in the garage helping Tyler put up some shelves. . . - and by 'help' I mean what I usually end up doing when I 'help' Tyler: observe, offer moral support, and make extremely helpful suggestions which are always very much appreciated, I'm sure. Although, sometimes when help I end up being a part of things I should never be involved in. . . like helping stand fourteen-foot high garage framing walls - because I'm that strong, and tall, and it's easier than asking someone else for help. I digress. . .- anyway, I was watching Tyler put up shelves and I got distracted by one of my absolute most hated creatures; A nasty moth kept running into everything remotely close to me, making that horrible 'phluth' noise every time it hit. Why, I ask you, do they do that? They can fly, why can't they steer? Why must they invade my space and leave little dusty reminders when they do? Why don't they care if they run into something MUCH bigger than they are . . . something that wants to send them all to the fiery depths of Hell? I would care, if I were a bug. Seriously. I am not a squeamish girl, I deal with spiders and bees, and, and, and other stuff with relative calm. I don't think moths are going to kill me, or sting me, I just want them to stay away from me, and they don't.
The first time I heard about the whole butterfly sanctuary thing - or whatever you call it, I swear I was fighting my gag reflex. Still, I can hardly imagine something worse than a room full of elegant moth- cousins that want to come land on my finger or my hair. Actually, I can think of a lot of worse things - I watched an episode or two of Fear Factor - but I still cringe at the thought. Dear Butterflies, you're so pretty. Be pretty far away. Thank you.
2. Last week a grasshopper jumped in my boot. While I was wearing it. Without socks. And then it squished itself against my naked foot (I'm innocent.) leaving sick green grasshopper juice on my ankle. I KNOW it's partly my fault for wearing my cowboy boots with shorts, but it was just for a few minutes and I was at the ranch. . .it was totally justified. Again, WHY can't they jump away from people instead of at us? What is the point?
When we were riding yesterday we went through a meadow full of huge grasshoppers jumping so high that they were flying over the tops of our heads (on horseback). . . and you guessed it, one smacked me in the face, fell to my chest and jumped on to find it's next victim. I could hardly open my mouth (after I screamed of course) afterward for fear of. . . well, you know. I can't even write it.
3. My mean 'animal lover' unless-it's-not-their-own neighbors (not to be confused with my lovely mother-in-law, or with the nicest, coolest neighbors ever - they literally have a soccer field in their back yard, how cool is that?) are driving me nuts! A letter: Dear Mr. and Mrs. Not-so-Nice, I'm sorry that you think we should take our dog to a spinal specialist even though our Vet (a professional) has told us nothing can be done for him; I'm sorry you think we should tie him up even though he can barely walk; I don't care if he hobbles over to see the old dog across the street, in fact I think it's adorable and sweet. He's NOT running away, and you don't need to bring him back to us and shake your heads / fingers at us; I'm sorry you don't think we buy the right brand of pet food, I'm sorry the goat trimmed the bottom of your fruit trees for you, I guess we won't send you a bill since you're mad; I'm sorry you are misinformed enough to think that horses should be FAT- please look up 'founder' in the dictionary; I'm sorry you cover our fence rails with birdseed (for the birds and the deer) and that our chickens now make a beeline for it when they sneak out. . . you said you didn't care at first. (They are birds you know.) I am not sorry you stepped in chicken poo. I kind of think you deserve it. P.S. You live in the country, practically the mountains. There are animals here.

Ahhh. Thanks for listening, I feel better.

11 comments:

Kiera said...

Fighting a gag reflex huh? I didnt know butterflies had that affect on you. : )

Allyson said...

First, I agree bugs to tend toward the suicidal side - whether they think they are or not - if they really wanted to live then they would stay away from things that are bigger than them aka: people.

Second, it takes time, talent and dedication to become a "vile neighbor" but your neighbors seem to be truly and freakishly gifted - my sincere condolences. :(

Wonder Woman said...

OH this was great. "They can fly, why can't they steer?" lol Classic! I don't like moths, either. Ugly and annoying. But butterfulies are great! I think you're rotten for not liking butterflies. =D

As far as me going "public".....just felt like it. (Good reason, I know.) I decided I wanted to give us all superhero names, then did the header, and there you go. All my old posts still have our names, so....I'll probably just leave it that way.

I just wanted a change. And I was in one of those moods where I had things to do/think about and I didn't want to do/think about them, so I wasted time blogging instead.

wendy said...

Dear Friends - I must clear something up. . . I don't really hate butterflies, just moths. But I NEVER want to be so surrounded by them that they pick me over a flower. Yeeee.

Leah said...

You continue to kill me.

Melanie Engen said...

I think that I could listen to you "vent" everyday. I am sorry about your dog but glad that he is happy anway. :) And sorry that people don't have anything better to do than complain about their neighbors. They are just jealous that they don't have to chase chickens everyday.

~Jason and Heidi~ said...

Wendy ~ You are hilarious! I loved reading your blog. You are a deep person. I can visualize everything.

About the neighbors, I am also a mean person for not taking my wiener dog Frank into the back specialist and I am cruel for not putting up a fence in my yard to keep him in, because that is the reason he got hit by a car last year. So I know your neighbors too. Good luck with that.
Your boys are absolutely adorable. Great photos!
By the way, I saw your blog from Tiff and Kara. I hope that is okay.

Wendy said...

So is Duke the dog with the limp that waddles across the street to seee..... what was it you said??? If so sorry to hear about it, and if it isn't sorry that any animal has to be in such conditions. This post was absolutely funny!

Wonder Woman said...

About playlist.....I have no idea why it't not working for you... are you generating the code for "any other social network..."? and did you old one get completely erased before you pasted the new one?

Those are the only things I can think of.

p.s. I saw some pillows yesterday with the fleur de liese (or however you spell it) and totally thought of your bedroom wall. I REALLY wanted to get those pillows. :>)

kristina said...

that is some great reading! I think we drove by your beautiful home today as we were out on a little family drive! we have some friends that live really close by you, what a beautiful spot of earth you live on!!

Jill said...

I am dying to know where you live. In the country somewhere. Where ever it is... it is one beautiful place. Your life sounds a bit like "Anne of Green Gables". You are a great writer and very intertaining. Moths, chicken crap, and everyday life seem quite funny coming from you. Keep it coming