Does every family do the thing where they can't eat anything (aside from all the stuffed olives, roll dough, celery sticks etc., etc. everyone snacked on pre- sitting down to the dinner table) until everyone around the table has said three things they're thankful for . . . and no one can repeat what someone else has said? So the food gets incrementally colder as each person racks their brain for a new way to say they're thankful for the same things everyone preceding them said. Sweaty palms are wiped on napkins, minds go blank, and you find yourself blurting out "manicurists, muck boots, and bleach pens" (or some nonsense) only to see your loved ones sadly shaking their heads at your inadequate answers. "No!" you shout, "I'm not mocking tradition! I DO HAVE a thankful heart! I just want to move onto the pie and the little leftover turkey sandwiches that come LATER! And, and, and the first five people stole my TOP FIFTEEN ideas!" No? Your family doesn't go for that craziness? First, I don't believe you. Second, can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?
Since that's not an option, and I really do love Thanksgiving and family togetherness, and I AM grateful for a bazillion things that I could list any time of the day - except when it is suddenly demanded of me - I have a plan. I'm making cards. Not crafty little foofy cards (although my inner Martha is thinking some place cards would be a nice touch) but sneaky cheater note cards. Then, as all my thankful speaking points are taken I can just toss those cards casually over my shoulder and be ready to eloquently add whatever blessings I'm still holding. I'm not even writing down "Family, Friends," and "the Gospel" because I know those will be taken up by the first person to speak. Unless it's Nick because - judging from his prayers lately - the three things he is most grateful for are the temple (good one), dinner (if only he would eat. . .), and potty (really, and he can have that one all to himself).
SO I'm starting my note cards with these:
Love (which will SO get taken)
Music (ditto)
Freedom (ditto)
What would you say? You know it's coming. . . better be prepared.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Thanksgiving Traditions
Labels:
family,
I Found it in the Cliffnotes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
This year I'm saying low gas prices because it means I get to spend thanksgiving with my family for the first time since high school.
Very clever. Love the header pic!
'whos gonna ride your wild horses' wendy? that is such a cool shot-
ok- you took mine- 'love', maybe i'll make some notecards too..
Hmmm...thanks for the heads up - I will start making a list of deep and significant things in my life immediately, but I have a very strong feeling that W&S and Swiss chocolate will have to be on there. I am after all a material girl, living in a material world. ;)
I have a few that I know will not be taken at dinner this year... Stephenie Meyer, for making me fall in love with a fictional character hehe, and my auditory memory because without it I would have to study really hard like everybody else. lol
All so good! I'm taking notes now! What, Allyson? No shoes? AND, Good thing you won't be in town yet Em, because I finally crumbled and read Twilight yesterday. Yes, three wild boys and I was so enraptured I devoured (drank, if you will) the whole book and still had time to feed my little monsters and do other mom-stuff. Oh my, my. What a guilty pleasure that was!
Thanks, btw, for your header picture comments - I love my 'other babies', so sweet and wild all at the same time!
Who said that shoes wouldn't be on the list? Silly girl - they are a constant!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed Twilight - it is indeed a good guilty pleasure.
warm bed, cozy home, Christmas music, the day (soon, I hope) that lice become extinct, date night, kids that grow AND learn AND say "thank you", long walks, nutella, family pictures...
et cetera
Wow- I guess I have some thinking to do... I don't want to be the only person with sweaty palms blurting out random things like "tide pens"!
Pork, Pepsi, Paddles (of the Kayaking sort) Those are the only 3 things that exist in the celestial kingdom anyway.
Personally, I would just pick three things currently on the table: "I'm grateful for that... and that... and THAT!!!"
You've got a tough life Miss Wendy - Thanksgiving sounds torturous!! I'm sure through preparation next year will be more enjoyable.
rock on and 'tis the season to get excited!!
Post a Comment