Monday, March 2, 2009

Babies Come From Heaven

Baby Max
Back in the day when I was thinking about someday being a 'mom', I only thought about the little kid mom-issues. Didn't sound too hard. Diapers, play-dates, Kool-Aid - nothing I couldn't handle. I never for a second approached the thought of my kids needing 'the talk'. (The first whopper of a step on the way to being a teenager, ugh.) Suddenly that seems to be an issue. Grey, who will be six this month has asked me repeatedly over the last week, "Sooo, how exactly do babies get in the mommies' tummies?". First I told him that Heavenly Father puts them there when he's ready to send down a new child. He squinted his eyes, furrowed his brow and said, "No, how exactly?". Great. I'm SO not getting into 'how exactly' with a kindergartner! Then, a feeling of relief overcame me as I realized I didn't ever have to tell him about the birds and the bees - this must be my reward for having only boys. I pawned the whole thing off on 'daddy', who told him to ask again in a couple of years. (Which means, of course, he'll keep pestering me about it until he moves on to some other mystery. Meanwhile, Max, who wouldn't dare ask that question if his life depended on it, has sat through each of Grey's little interrogations as silent as a stone. I'm thinking we got 'the talk' when were in, what, fourth grade? I hear so much about kids 'growing up' faster now with the onslaught of information that is constantly thrown at us all. Does that mean the point on the timeline where he actually needs in on that fun discussion has been moved to sooner than later? I mean, I'm pretty sure he still believes in Santa Claus; surely he can't be ready for this. Tyler is no more excited to sit down with him when the time comes. After all, his dad simply gave him a book titled "Now that You're Twelve", told him to read it and ask him if he had any questions. Right. "Um, Dad, I have a question about page six. . .". He was fourteen at the time, by the way. It didn't matter that his parents kept him out of the sex-ed program at school. His friends and brothers had already filled him in on all the gory details long before. So, he doesn't really have a good 'talk' to base his off of! I can't say I'm anywhere near being ready to have my little 'angels' knowing all there is to know. . . but how much time do we have left? A year? Two?

10 comments:

Kiera said...

First off I love this picture of you and baby Max. It is so precious! Secondly.....

I don't even know what to say. It all happens so fast huh?

Wonder Woman said...

I read a blog a few weeks ago from a mom who talked to her son about the big S. I think you'd enjoy it Here's the link:
http://cranberrycorner.blogspot.com/2009/02/birds-and-bees.html

p.s. I saw Kris Kristofferson on the Colbert Report last night and said to Levi, "That's Tyler Hofheins in 30 years!"

Wonder Woman said...

I just saw this today and thought of you.
http://segullah.org/small-epiphanies/let-me-tell-you-about-the-birds-the-bees/

wendybird said...

Thanks WW! I'll check out those links.
P.S. I was laughing so hard at the Kris Kristopherson comment that Nick was asking me what was wrong. How do I explain that one?
P.P.S. I always think of Tyler aging into Mark Twain. :)

amy said...

I love that you posted a picture of yourself - you're one pretty momma!!
Best of luck with your boys - I just told Gib when he's ready to let me know and I'll tell him whatever he wants to know. He has asked a few questions and then I can tell he has had enough. Good times!!

Allyson said...

If things get too intense dial me 911 and super dark truffles and salted caramel comfort are on the way STAT!

wendybird said...

Oh, wow. Do I get in trouble if I call your 911 with a false emergency?

Kara said...

Read the book "Teaching Children Values" I think it's by the Eyers? They have a pretty good philosophy and detailed instruction :)! Their suggested "end of innocence" age is 8... Good luck, I've done it twice now and it's not my favorite part of parenting!

Allyson said...

We will just call that a trial run.

Leah said...

I'm dying. Max, seriously, stay a baby please!