I try not to shop with Tyler. It's not that I don't like his company, obviously, but we are rarely on the same wavelength when it comes to spending money. I think my weekly grocery budget (yes, I'm still on my budget . . . most of the time - yay me. I'm so proud of myself.) is pretty impressive and rather important. He thinks we could skim a little off the top or just fore go the groceries if he wants to get something else we really need, like a travel cover for the boat. 'It protects our investment,' he says. 'It's January,' I answer. 'That's why we're doing it now - it's cheaper.' You know what I think is cheaper? Not doing it at all. I digress.
What I wanted to tell you is that we took a quick trip to the grocery store together last week with all the kids in tow. (During which he completely dismantled my budget by throwing in a bunch of things that weren't on the list because the prices were good. Amateur.) Watching the three walking children follow him down an aisle brought visions of ducklings following their mother to my head. It was so cute. I couldn't stop quacking to myself, and the boys, the rest of the time. Of course that means I usually look like the duck, which isn't quite as funny to me for some reason. Don't know why. Actually when I'm there without Tyler all three of the boys seem hover around me like little moons if there is a shopping cart involved. I don't know how we ever get past anyone coming the other way with all the bodies stuck to the sides of the cart.
Not many people used to comment about us having three boys and no girls, but now that it's four it seems to be all anyone sees. A woman stopped us on our way into a craft store tonight with a "FOUR BOYS! Oh my! Well, if they're as good looking as this. . ." blah, blah, blah. She grabbed each of their faces in turn oo-ing and ah-ing about them. They took it very well when she was there and decided the whole incident was 'creepy' afterwards. I think I agree a little. She was a complete stranger. It's funny how some people act like children aren't real people sometimes and talk about them instead of to them. At least she didn't mistake Max for a girl because of his hair (like Santa did, of all people. If Max still believed in Ole' St. Nick surely that would have killed the illusion).




2 comments:
Great mental image!
a little korean lady and costco always reminds aaron that he is unlucky- having only girls- and i dont want the girls to hear that sort of stuff! like there is something wrong with girls! yes- why do strangers come up and talk 'at' the children- and give you random comments ?!?!
Post a Comment