Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring Break!

Spring Break came at the perfect time this year - Tyler and I were both about at the end of our ropes managing the building of the new house, still fighting the city about the old house, and handling life in general! If the only thing we did was NOT have to get the kids up for school that would have been enough to get through. We decided we really wanted to get AWAY for a few days though so we spent the second half of the week in St. George. It was just far enough away to relax a little bit (alas, the cell phones still worked. . .). The weather was perfect, we visited our good friends the Kinyons there, and had good friends from home down as well. The boys played in the pool for two days straight.





On the third day we went to our favorite place for breakfast (& lunch): Bear Paw Cafe. The decor is awful but the food is SO good the cheesy southwestern indian art prints are forgivable! While we waited to get in we played in the park across the street. The boys thought this bench with the statue of Brigham Young was even better than the scary Ronald McDonald on the bench in our local McDonalds. (Grey thought it was supposed to be Santa in the 'off-season', but Max quickly corrected him with 'It's Abraham Lincoln, Grey!')I love the look on Nick's face.



Later we went to the park that has the little water play area in 'downtown' St. George. We were totally unprepared - no swimsuits, no towels . . . no swim diapers. Max was completely dismayed by this. Nick, on the other hand, ran right past the "no running - swim diapers required" sign with his regular diaper peeking conspiculously out of his shorts and onto the slippery surface where little bursts of water shoot up. His face was complete glee until he slipped (right in back of the "slippery surface - water shoes recommended" sign) flat on his back. He cried until he saw the manmade sandstone waterfall and river area. Back to bliss. The two older boys were super whiny about wanting to be in the pool instead until they saw how much fun Nick was having. Check out the evil eye Max is giving me in this first photo!




It was hard to come back, but we were glad to see the house still standing when we did.

6 comments:

Kiera said...

I laughed the whole way through this blog. Dang funny! I'm glad you guys had so much fun. I love how St. George really does feel far enough away.

kristina said...

So fun!!! we went to the exact same places when we were down there a few weeks ago. The kids loved it, but I had no camera for pictures. you got some great shots! your boys are so adorable, I love their long hair!!

AubreyB said...

I am so jealous! I'll tell Matt we need a mini vacation. Were you so sad to come back to snow here? :)

Ash said...

Ha! Santa in the off season. Your kids are so stinking cute and funny. You've inspired me to take a vacation of my own to warmer climates.

mycattripoli said...

who cuts the hair to be so boyishly cute, yet long...it is the best- glad you could get away..

wendy said...

Thanks Marianne! I cut their hair most of the time - although I did take Max to get his cut once. Grey and Nick are easy because the curl usually hides my mistakes!